Sunday, October 24, 2010

She of the Rainbow

I dreamed of her in shades of grey
Mixed jet and pearl and slate and cream
Upon my canvass her to stay
My rainbow shade; my eye’s fair gleam

I dreamed of her in black and white
Mixed paint to stain false memory
And thought I painted all that’s bright
Not seeing my poor mimicry

I dreamed she was all framed but free
In lands not green and blue alive
Imprisoned there alone was she
In my dark head I thought she’d thrive

I dreamed in sunsets of her grace
In reds and yellows that did fade
And did not catch upon her face
That gift of glory there was laid

I dreamed in palettes overbright
But never finding the right tone
Violet, orange, pink weren’t right
They all became a monochrome

I painted dreams and nightmares too
To try and find her somewhere there
To mirror that one and only who
That did my bleary eyes ensnare

But when she walked across my way
And broke the image in my view
I saw that all my shades of grey
Were not the rainbow’s truest hues

She lived more vivid than my dream
And glittered far against my clouds
And all I brushed to me did seem
Deluding ashen shadowed shrouds

Reality is where I’ll go
To see and draw just what I know
I will not try to bring down low
The hues above in the rainbow

9 comments:

  1. Mark, this is awesome.
    Really well written, love the metaphors.
    great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reality is where I’ll go
    To see and draw just what I know
    I will not try to bring down low
    The hues above in the rainbow...


    awesome job.
    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I love comments - it lets me know I'm not the only one reading my stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lyrical and beautiful. The flow was stellar. So well crafted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fyodor, I would like to highlight this poem as Poem of the Week at Jingle Poetry this Saturday, if that's okay with you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely okay with me. I would be honoured.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome poem...
    I love it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful poem! Romantic and light, impressive rhyming, good flow and metaphors. It does deserve to be Poem of the Week.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting.
I value any feedback, positive or negative.